An Integrated Management System streamlines ISO 9001 Quality Management, ISO 14001 Environmental Management, and ISO 45001 Occupational Health and Safety Management.
What is an ISO Integrated Management System?
An ISO Integrated Management System (IMS) is a management system that integrates all of an organization's systems and processes into one comprehensive framework. It combines and integrates the requirements of multiple ISO standards, such as ISO 9001 (Quality Management), ISO 14001 (Environmental Management), and ISO 45001 (Occupational Health and Safety Management), into a single management system.
What is the goal of IMS?
The goal of an ISO IMS is to provide an integrated and consistent approach to managing an organization's various functions and processes, such as quality, environment, health and safety, and risk management. It helps organizations to identify and manage interrelated processes and activities, improving efficiency, reducing duplication and helping to ensure that all areas of the organization are working towards common goals.
By implementing an ISO IMS, organizations can demonstrate their commitment to meeting their legal and regulatory obligations, improving their operational efficiency, and enhancing their overall sustainability and competitiveness.
What happened to OHSAS 18001?
ISO 45001 was issued in March 2018 and will replace OHSAS 18001, the world’s former reference for workplace health and safety. Organizations already certified to OHSAS 18001 had three years to comply with the new ISO 45001 standard.
What are the benefits of IMS?
Integrating the ISO 9001, 14001, and 45001 standards into an Integrated Management System (IMS) can bring several benefits to an organization, including:
- Improved efficiency: By integrating multiple management systems into one, organizations can reduce duplication and streamline processes, leading to improved efficiency and cost savings.
- Enhanced sustainability: By integrating environmental and occupational health and safety management into an IMS, organizations can more effectively manage their sustainability risks and opportunities, improving their overall sustainability performance.
- Better risk management: An IMS can help organizations to identify, assess and manage risks and opportunities in a more comprehensive and consistent manner, leading to improved risk management.
- Increased credibility: Integrating multiple ISO standards into an IMS can demonstrate an organization's commitment to meeting its legal and regulatory obligations, improving its reputation and credibility with stakeholders.
- Improved communication: An IMS can help to foster better communication and collaboration between departments and functions, leading to a more cohesive and aligned approach to managing the organization.
- Simplified certification: By integrating multiple management systems into one, organizations can reduce the cost and complexity of certification, making it easier to maintain compliance with multiple standards.
Overall, integrating ISO 9001, 14001, and 45001 into an IMS can help organizations to improve their performance, reduce costs, and enhance their reputation and credibility.
How Can EnTec Help?
It is clear from the three schemes (Quality, Safety and Environment) that there are many commonalities, so it makes sense to amalgamate the three systems and really get them working for your organization.
The development and implementation of ISO standards is one of EnTec's key solutions for managing safety, health, and environmental management systems.
Contact us today with any questions you may have about ISO certification.
© EnTec HSE Solutions. 2023.